Tenney Environmental Ships One Walk-In Chamber to the Chemical Products Industry
Tenney Environmental, a division of Thermal Product Solutions, announced the shipment of one Tenney Environmental Walk-In Chamber to the chemical products industry. This chamber will be used to perform temperature and humidity testing of heat pump and air handling systems containing hydrofluorocarbon refrigerants.
This Tenney walk-in chamber maintains a relative humidity range of 20-85% in the temperature range of 20°C to 85°C limited by a 5°C dew point. The interior of the chamber has dimensions of 14’ W x 14’ D x 9’ H. The operating temperature range is -10°C to 60°C.
This chamber is designed with an Intrinsically Safe Interior ( - INS ) design. When an intrinsically safe interior is employed, pressure relief equipment is also installed to safely relieve a deflagration or explosion emanating from the chamber, should it occur. A large explosion relief panel is installed in the rear chamber wall with fracture clips around the outside perimeter. Safety chains are also mounted around the outside perimeter to limit panel travel outward should a deflagration or explosion occur.
“Tenney has been building chambers for this customer for nearly two decades. When the customer first approached us with their testing application, we reviewed the worst-case volatile chemical that would be tested inside the chamber workspace and designed the chamber to provide ultimate safety. Our proven design gives our customer confidence and peace of mind when performing tests in our chambers.”
– Jeff Comitz, Applications Engineering Manager
Many special safety features are included, which are briefly listed below:
- Non-sparking circulation blower design
- Low-watt density sheathed heaters with heater surface temperature monitoring and control
- Intrinsic safety barriers for temperature sensor wire connections
- Intrinsically safe humidity transmitter approved for use in hazardous locations
- Interior incandescent lighting (explosion proof) rated for use in hazardous locations
- Explosion Relief
- Emergency Stop Pushbuttons (An E-Stop is mounted on both the outside and inside.)
- An MSA Chillgard 5000 Refrigerant Leak Monitor is provided to monitor the chamber workspace for refrigerant gas leaks originating from the customer’s test product. This unit will shut down chamber operation when a leak down to 1 ppm is detected.
- Pneumatic Intake and Exhaust Damper Ports are installed, which will be opened whenever an MSA Chillguard Fault or Alarm condition is detected.